Wednesday, June 23, 2010

One hundred rings of solitude




























Life as a jewellery student, part 2:

This work belongs to a first year project at RMIT for which I made myself a set of rules: No drawing or sketching (my usual escapes), just model making from materials that might be unfamiliar to me, seeing if I could create one hundred different rings. How many I ended up with? 80? I still haven't counted.

I remember that all this began from turning wire in a state of confusion about what a "contemporary look" might be, a concept so prevalent in the first year "art jewellery" discussions. I thought at the time that if I blast out something highly asymmetric, warped and quite monochromatic, preferably black and plasticky, avoiding precious metals, surely I'll succeed – in an ironic way. But as I kept working, the pissed-offness at the notion of "contemporary = cliched" wore off, and the project became a fun experiment which I still like to look at.

Confusion remains, but in such a different way now : )

– Click each row if you'd like a closer look –

8 comments:

  1. Yours could be a very useful kind of confusion...
    I reckon the most important is thing is for the jewellery to be free... no wait... enslaved to the right things-
    ( oh sorry, thats pretty cryptic isnt it?)

    ReplyDelete
  2. "freedom is just another word for nothing left to lose",

    so,

    "slave to love"

    I guess!

    : )

    ReplyDelete
  3. Greetengs from Estonia! I am viewing your works and...it so beautiful! Those rings are stunning. Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Tere Marlen,

    Thank you!! It was really fun to make them.

    Hope all is well in Estonia, a beautiful country with gorgeous people : )

    ReplyDelete
  5. I loved your project! Trully inspiring!

    ReplyDelete